Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Week in the Life - Tuesday

This is how my whole day felt - out of control and a complete mess.
I came across this verse recently. It pretty much sums up my day: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." ~ Proverbs 16:9

It started out in the usual way. Andrew got on the bus without a hitch. Yeah for back to school! I kept him home on Friday because he had a terrible cough and cold and there was no school Monday. We were all ready for our normal routine again!

Jonathan was up a lot during the night, and therefore, I was up a lot during the night. He pretty much stayed in this position the whole time Andrew was at school. I finally convinced him to get dressed around noon. He feels so yucky and was so tired all day.
Hannah slept in, so I crashed on the couch for a little after Andrew left for school. This was the beginning of the end of my productivity.

I was able to take a quick shower and strip two beds before Hannah got up. Then my neighbor called and wanted to cut an article out of my newspaper. Mary is super sweet and I can't say no to her. So, she came over and chatted while I tried to keep Hannah in her high chair and figure out what show Jonathan wanted to watch, all while listening to her tell me about this family that was in the article that used to be her neighbor, and went to their church and their kids went to school with her boys, etc. etc.

Then she left and I thought, now I will get some things done...

This is Miss Destruction. This was the beginning of her mess. Silly me. I thought it wouldn't get much worse than this. I was wrong. I was on the phone with Jill when this mess started and when I turned around, she had the wipes box out and was pulling them out one.at.a.time as fast as she could. I did not take a picture as I was too irritated with her skills to document them.

Then Andrew came home and I didn't have a plan for lunch. So a plan was hatched to have a special treat and leave the house!

This guy was super excited to test out his new car seat that I bought on super sale at Target while shopping alone!

We had a "healthy" lunch at this fine establishment.

I'm a sucker for new foods. These McBites are actually quite tasty. I ordered the snack size thinking it would be perfect for Hannah. Turns out they are crispy and have real-looking chicken inside, so she actually handles the McNuggets better. Fortunately Andrew was willing to trade and the problem was solved.

After lunch, Jonathan asked if I had put his fire truck sheets on his bed. I had just finished - the only task completed so far all day. I asked if he was ready to have a rest and that I would read him a book as soon as I put Hannah to bed. He vetoed the book and just put himself to bed. That hasn't happened, well, ever! My poor sick boy slept 3 hours.

So while the two youngest napped, I finished the kids' Christmas thank you cards - better late than never is my current motto. And then I worked on reconciling our checking account and paying some bills. Good times! Andrew cut out pictures of his latest obsession, Octonauts, which I printed for him on Disneyjunior.com

Then I made chicken tortilla soup for dinnner and cheese pizza for the kids.

This is sick child number one. This picture doesn't show all the snot and watery eyes like I thought it would. It also doesn't let you hear her 80-year-old smoker voice. But she's still pretty happy and very destructive despite all of her symptoms.

This is sick kid number two. He has a fever and feels like garbage. He barely ate two pieces of cheese pizza, one of his favorite foods. He's going to the doctor tomorrow. He just doesn't know it yet.

This kid is not sick and doesn't quite know what to do when his siblings are and his parents are exhausted. It seems to give him extra energy, which we do not know how to contain or channel...

And this is my reality.
Two loads of laundry still waiting to be folded and one more in the dryer. And that picture frame - it's waiting for real pictures and to be hung on the wall, also on my To Do List for the day. And instead of these things, I'm blogging and listening to my daughter recount her day to her friends in her bed for the past hour instead of going to sleep...

And while I had a To Do list, it wasn't God's plan for my day. Today I was a mommy to sick kiddos and my list was not important.

Tomorrow's a new day and hopefully one filled with antibiotics from the doctor's office!

1 comment:

Jill said...

OH bless you. Girl, I hope today was better and everyone is on the mend. Love and hugs.