Monday, January 16, 2012

Week in the Life - Sunday

I've been inspired by Jill to do a Week in the Life blogging project. I'm going to try really hard to do this everyday. We'll see how it goes. I'm starting with Sunday, even though I only took a couple of photos.

Jonathan's ER bracelet

It was a quite a day and it started way earlier than it should have! Jonathan woke me around 1:30 am begging for a drink and coughing up a lung. It took me a few minutes before I realized why I was out of bed and then I heard the dreaded wheezing sound. Keith took him outside to try and get his breathing back to normal, but it didn't work. We had him lay on the couch for a few minutes before we realized he was going to need to see a doctor. He couldn't stop wheezing and it really sounded like he was struggling to breathe. So Keith got dressed and took Jonathan to the mini ER down the street, but not before Jonathan had a coughing fit causing him to throw up. Fortunately, I sensed it was coming and we made it to the bathroom in time!

The great news about our mini ER is that they usually get you right in and this was no exception. They were ushered right into a room and after a few quick vitals were taken, they gave Jonathan a Popsicle to help shrink his airway. The doctor quickly diagnosed him with croup, again, and gave him a healthy dose of steroids. We hate how they change his personality, but love how they help him breathe! They also gave him a breathing treatment, which he didn't like, but it also helped.

They got back home around 3, and we all went to bed. I should add that Jonathan was running around the house when they got home. Keith and I could barely keep our eyes open to walk him up to bed. Guess they should give the parents steroids too! Everyone slept until around 8 and then it was time to get ready for church - for Keith only. He had to teach Sunday School. The rest of us kept our germs and our tired selves at home.

While Daddy was at church, I let the kids watch Robin Hood that I recorded on the Disney channel. They weren't too sure of it at first, but then decided it was great. They are all wearing their Thing shirts and playing cars together. Well, I don't know how much playing Hannah was really doing, or if it was more mess making.

After lunch it was rest time! Hannah went down for her normal nap. Keith didn't sleep well after he got home from the ER, so he and Jonathan also took a nap. Andrew played mostly quietly in the basement with the promise that Daddy would play with him in an hour and I went to Target ALONE!

I came home in time to see a very grouchy Jonathan waking up from his nap. He and steroids do not mix! He needed a little TV time to get over the crankies and Andrew played a couple of games on the iPod. Hannah woke up and then I made dinner - chicken quesadillas and Keith made guacamole. Sorry no pictures. I'll try to do better! It was yummy and everyone ate it, even Andrew. Well, he didn't eat the guac, but quesadillas are baby steps!

After dinner, the boys worked on Get Well cards for Grandpa. He had back surgery last week and needs some good mail! I'd show pictures of their cards, but that would ruin his mail. I will say there were some stencil drawings and Andrew drew a maze. And Hannah destroyed one or two rooms in the house. Then it was time for bed!

And everyone slept through the night, and we did not make any more trips to the ER! Hallelujah!

No comments: