Monday, November 09, 2009

Meal Planning

Some weeks it's just so hard to figure out what to make for dinner! So last Monday, I looked through a bunch of saved recipes and found a few I hadn't yet tried and created a meal plan for the week. I was only able to stick with the plan for 3 nights, life happens you know, but I made a few new successful recipes. And I have most of my menu for this week done already! We'll see how we do this week with a sick boy!











Meatball Calzones
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsps. Italian seasoning
1 pounds ground beef
1-2 loaves (1 lb each) frozen bread dough, thawed (I used one Pillsbury pizza crust from a can)
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Additional Italian seasoning
1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce, warmed

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
2. Place meatballs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to 350°.
3. Roll out the dough of dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon a third of the meatballs and mozzarella cheese down the center of each rectangle. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 2 calzones (4 servings each).


The original recipe was double this, but since there are only 4 of us, I cut the recipe in half and only made one giant calzone. I'm not a huge fan of meatballs, but this was pretty good and the extra meatballs freeze well to make this again when I'm in a hurry.






Braised Chicken Thighs with Carrots and Potatoes
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced
4 medium-size new potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 c. baby carrots
1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
1/2 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp. paprika
6 bone-in chicken thighs

Place onion in a lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker, top with potatoes and carrots. Combine 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, broth, and next 3 ingredients. Pour broth mixture over vegetables. Combine paprika, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper; rub evenly over chicken thighs, and arrange on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
Yield: 6 servings





Chicken Ole Foil Supper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tsps. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup salsa
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (11 oz.) can corn, drained
1 cup shredded cheese
Toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, sliced black olives, sour cream, guacamole

1. Tear off 4 (18x12-inch) sheets of aluminum foil; lightly grease 1 side of each sheet.
2. Place 1 chicken breast in center on lightly greased side of each foil sheet, Brush both sides of chicken evenly with oil; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Spoon salsa evenly over chicken. Top evenly with black beans and corn.
3. Bring together 2 sides of each foil sheet over ingredients, and double fold with about 1-inch wide folds. Double fold each end to form a packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside packet. Place packets on a baking sheet.
4. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Carefully open foil packets to prevent burns from hot steam. Sprinkle evenly with cheese before serving. Serve chicken with desired toppings.
Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

Theresa Walker said...

We just made that meatball one last week, except that I get the pre-made frozen meatballs...
I've been putting up a few recipes on my blog lately too, so check them out if you're interested! Thanks for your recipes...I appreciate trying new things!!!