I need help from all you blog stalkers and casual readers. We are running a potty training marathon and we are in last place; Andrew and his stubbornness are in first. We have been trying to potty train for the past 3-4 weeks. I've lost track of when I started and frankly the past couple of weeks have been so discouraging, I don't even like to think about how long we've been working on this.
The bottom line is that Andrew just DOES NOT CARE. I'll spare you the messy details, but I'm pretty sure that he could be happy wearing a diaper to college or at least Kindergarten! We have tried a variety of treats as bribes. We have scolded and I have screamed like a raging banshee woman at the poopy messes. We have given high praise when the task is accomplished. I have tried taking him hourly, which is like marching him off to a torture chamber. (This kid is so dramatic and I have no idea where he gets it. Ha!) He only wears a pull-up when we leave the house because I fear the mess in the middle of a store. I've tried naked, but, well, he's a boy and his parts are very interesting to him, and it doesn't work because he just pees wherever he is playing.
So, I need your help. What should we do? What have you tried? What books have you read? Did you punish or take toys away? Do you know of any potty training boot camp for stubborn 3 year olds? Any and all ideas are welcome. Until then, the steam cleaner vacuum and I will remain good friends.
5 comments:
oh, man, I so feel for you!!! How well I remember the days of training Ryan-he couldn't care at all!! My sis used to throw cheerios in the toilet as targets-works pretty good for boys!!! Reward an m & m for each cheerio hit!! Oh, well, hopefully by college...guess there are Depends if ya need 'em!!
oops-forgot to sign last post--Best wishes!! Joyce
He's probably not ready yet...
:)Lisa
Hey there Tonya...you probably aren't going to like what I have to say...(and I really am NOT an "advice-giver"), but I have to say with potty training and my experience with my own son (after potty training my daughters) it's not bad to just give it some TIME and GRACE. Maybe try putting everything away for a couple weeks - give yourSELF a break - and then see if Andrew is interested in starting again after awhile. Until they are interested (which we discovered with Lukas) there was just not much that could be done! He's still not THAT old - did he just turn three? Lukas finally decided to be "trained" shortly after turning 3, but was not interested too much prior to that. I'll be praying for you as you decide what to do!!!
Tanya I have to agree with the above comments. If Andrew is not ready it just isn't worth it for you or him to try to "force" him. It does NOT make you a "bad mommy" if he isn't potty trained by 3 years old. Continue to ask him a few (like 5 or less) times a day if he wants to try using the potty but if he says no, just say okay. Try to find examples of other "big boys" who don't wear diapers or pull-ups to praise to him but don't make it a really big deal. He will want to be potty trained someday. I promise he will. And I am willing to bet it will be before kindergarten!! Much love and prayers from one of your blog stalkers...Mrs. Laura
Post a Comment