Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Strawberry Picking


This past Friday we went to a local farm and picked fresh strawberries. Andrew was super excited and Jonathan was just excited about life and then once we got their, well, the excitement waned to say the least. I'd estimate their interest lasted about 5 seconds. Then it was just my mom and I picking strawberries as fast as we could. Andrew decided the farm needed to be explored and all the animals needed to be caught. Shortly after we got there, I heard him say, "Here goosey, goosey, goosey." I hadn't seen any geese, so I looked to see what he was chasing. Guineas. If you've never heard or seen them, consider yourself lucky. They are loud, ugly birds, but they do eat insects, but mostly they are just loud and ugly. And don't want to be caught by 3-year-old boys!

Our neighbors had free-range guineas when I was growing up and these birds were confused and thought they lived at our house. They would perch on our fence outside the house and make the worst noise ever when I was trying to sleep-in. I've never forgiven them and I'm sure they have something to do with my strong dislike of mornings. But I digress, back to strawberry picking...

a guinea

Here's Andrew chasing the guineas. If you look closely you can see it on the far left side of the photo.

Jonathan didn't really pick any strawberries, but he did eat them if you made the mistake of putting them in his bucket.

His bucket was empty, so he was making a quick transfer.

All our hard work only yielded about 5 pounds of strawberries. As I was sweating in the hot, humid sun that morning, I was reminded of why I like to buy my strawberries at Dillons. But you can't beat the taste of fresh-from-the-garden strawberries!

Maybe we'll go again next year. Or maybe I'll get a babysitter and pick strawberries in peace.

1 comment:

Sally said...

where did you go to pick strawberries??? i didn't even know they grew out here. That's the single most thing I miss about CA...fresh berries!!