Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tubes...again

Is this a preview of what my sweet boy will look like as a surly teenager?

I took Andrew to the doctor on Friday because he has been claiming that his ear hurt. I didn't want to take any chances for a weekend emergency visit, so off to the doctor we went. Our pediatrician was out of the office, so we saw another doctor in his practice, whom we won't be seeing again. I'm not sure why he is a pediatrician because children don't seem to be his thing. He never once spoke to Andrew or tried to comfort him.

Anyway, after he looked in the good ear, he spent quite a bit of time in the bad left ear. He then informed me he needed to get a better look because he was seeing something strange. Here was our conversation that followed:

Me: "Some THING?!"
Him: "yes."
Me: Do you mean, some thing like a foreign body?"
Him: "yes."
Me: "It's not the tube?"
Him: "No. It's blue and the tube is green."

By this point I'm in shock and freaking out. And the lack of information from the doctor wasn't helping. He stopped looking in the ear, and I start asking Andrew what he put in there. He looked just as shocked and confused, which I chalked up to normal 3-year-old behavior - always look dazed and confused.

The doctor informed us that we would need to see the ENT to have "it" removed. Fortunately our ENT is down the hall from the pediatrician, so we trooped down the hall, while I continued to question Andrew about what he might have jammed in his ear. I thought maybe it was a little man from the Life game that he likes to play with.

Our ENT fortunately had an immediate opening, a little gift from God, and we walked right into his office. The nurse and audiologist hovered at the door, anxious to see the little blue man extracted from Andrew's ear. The ENT spent about 5 seconds, if that long looking in Andrew's ear and announced there was NO foreign body. Just a blood clot covering the tube. Praise the Lord! I could see the disappointment in the faces of the nurse and audiologist. Obviously they were having a boring Friday.

The audiologist checked Andrew's hearing and confirmed that the left ear was blocked and so the ENT said we need to have the tube removed and a new one put in. So, that is what we are doing Friday morning. Lucky us!

Andrew's behavior has been a little crazy lately and he says his ear doesn't hurt, but it's clear that it bothers him. We are looking forward to Saturday - new tubes and hopefully better behavior! And no little blue men!

No comments: