Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tube Surgery Update

Here's Andrew shortly before they took him off to surgery.

Andrew's tube surgery went very well on Friday. The worst part was waiting for the doctor to get there. We arrived at 7 am for what we thought was a 7:45ish surgery. We sat in the playroom area until 8:35 waiting for Andrew's name to be called. He didn't seem to mind, but we were a little groggy. They confiscated our coffee since none of the children in the waiting area could have food or drink. It made complete sense, but I was craving my caffeine! The last surgery we were able to keep our coffee because we were the only ones in the room, and I guess they decided it was our choice to torture our own child. He doesn't like coffee, so he wasn't tortured. Plus they have toys in there and a very LOUD TV, so he was quite distracted.

He remembered the last surgery and so that made everything a little tricky. We didn't even try to put the gown on him until they were ready for him and he actually kept it on this time. But I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get a picture and by the time they took us to him in recovery he had stripped it off. And he was carried off kicking screaming once again by the anesthesiologist, but the nurses assured us that they have seen worse. Maybe they were just being nice to us.

The surgery only lasted a few minutes, and he didn't have any problems with the surgery or recovery. But now Andrew has a bad chest cold and has been running a low-grade fever. The doctor doesn't think it is related to the surgery, and I'm sure he just picked up a virus. Jonathan has his 12-month well-baby check tomorrow, and I think I'll ask the pediatrician to take a quick listen to Andrew's lungs while we are there to make sure it is just a virus. Good times!

Hopefully this is our last tube surgery, and I keep telling myself that Spring will be here soon and take away all of the sick junk floating around!

No comments: