This child named Jonathan has got to be the orneriest kid around. He just oozes trouble and can't stop himself from looking for it. As soon as he is caught, he looks up at you with those chocolate brown eyes through his long lashes with a little smirk, as if to say, "You wouldn't dare punish me. I'm too cute."
He asks "Why" at least a thousand times a day. And he's developed a bit of smart mouth at the tender age of 2:
me - "Jonathan, why is your shirt all wet?"
Jonathan - "Because it is."
me - "Jonathan, why are you doing that?" (that -being anything he shouldn't be doing.)
me - "Jonathan, why are you doing that?" (that -being anything he shouldn't be doing.)
Jonathan - "'Cause it's my job."
But early Friday morning, he gave us quite a scare. We've all had the sniffles, but I just chalked it up to the changing seasons and allergies. We noticed Jonathan seemed out of breath Thursday night after running around outside, but tried not to make a big deal out of it. Around 3 am, I heard this awful coughing sound and went to check on him. He was laying in bed, wheezing and sounding as if he couldn't catch his breath.
I woke Keith up and had him listen to Jonathan to see if I was having a pregnancy over-reaction. I wasn't. Keith agreed that he sounded TERRIBLE. By this time Jonathan is fully awake and talking and asking me to sleep with him. Selfishly I was afraid to sleep with him and share his germs. So I held him for awhile instead, and he talked the.whole.time. But in between each sentence he would wheeze and sort of gasp for air. We quickly decided a trip to the ER was in order. We didn't know what we were dealing with.
So, Jonathan and I went to the mini-ER down the street. We were their only patient that early Friday morning and received wonderful care. Jonathan was quickly diagnosed with croup, which I didn't know existed any more. Most children just get a bad cough, that sounds like a seal barking, but some, like Jonathan, suffer from a constricted airway. So, after some steroids and a popsicle, we were sent home and back to bed we all went.
I'm convinced that we all have croup now, but we are able to manage it and cough up the junk. And Jonathan is feeling much better. He has two more days of steroids, which seem to have upped the orneriness factor. But I'll take ornery over wheezing sick boy any day!
But early Friday morning, he gave us quite a scare. We've all had the sniffles, but I just chalked it up to the changing seasons and allergies. We noticed Jonathan seemed out of breath Thursday night after running around outside, but tried not to make a big deal out of it. Around 3 am, I heard this awful coughing sound and went to check on him. He was laying in bed, wheezing and sounding as if he couldn't catch his breath.
I woke Keith up and had him listen to Jonathan to see if I was having a pregnancy over-reaction. I wasn't. Keith agreed that he sounded TERRIBLE. By this time Jonathan is fully awake and talking and asking me to sleep with him. Selfishly I was afraid to sleep with him and share his germs. So I held him for awhile instead, and he talked the.whole.time. But in between each sentence he would wheeze and sort of gasp for air. We quickly decided a trip to the ER was in order. We didn't know what we were dealing with.
So, Jonathan and I went to the mini-ER down the street. We were their only patient that early Friday morning and received wonderful care. Jonathan was quickly diagnosed with croup, which I didn't know existed any more. Most children just get a bad cough, that sounds like a seal barking, but some, like Jonathan, suffer from a constricted airway. So, after some steroids and a popsicle, we were sent home and back to bed we all went.
I'm convinced that we all have croup now, but we are able to manage it and cough up the junk. And Jonathan is feeling much better. He has two more days of steroids, which seem to have upped the orneriness factor. But I'll take ornery over wheezing sick boy any day!
No comments:
Post a Comment