Monday, September 15, 2008

WHY?

Why does Andrew only seem to get sick on the weekend? This weekend he had a fever and no other symptoms. He woke up EARLY Saturday morning with a temperature of 100.5 and maintained a low-grade fever all day and was running at low speed. We did drag him to Home Depot and Lowe's on the search for a new microwave - rotten parents that we are. I didn't take him to church on Sunday for fear he was contagious, but we did take him to Wendy's for lunch. We were all a little stir crazy and needed to get out! And then we went to Hutchinson last night, because Grandma and Grandpa said they weren't afraid of catching a little fever. He still had a 99.something last night when we put him to bed and he woke up seemingly fine this morning.

What causes this kind of weekend illness? Why are there no other symptoms and no explanation, causing undo stress? And why is it that he seems to have banked all of his energy from the weekend, only to try and spend it all today when I'm trying to be productive and clean the house and do laundry? WHY? He says he wants to help, but his definition of helping I believe is found under hinder in Webster's Dictionary.

And why don't my children nap at the same time? Jonathan is just waking from a wonderful 3-hour nap and I just put Andrew to bed for his nap. Why couldn't Jonathan have taken a 3-hour afternoon nap? I guess I'm never satisfied! At least he napped today!

And here's something else I've been meaning to post:
The other day, Andrew swiped my nursing pad while I was feeding Jonathan and put it under his shirt and looked all proud of himself. I asked him to give it back, but he was following the finders-keepers logic. I tried not to laugh as he kept putting it back under his shirt, obviously copying me. But it made me think - what else do I do on a daily basis that I don't think about that he is storing away for future reference? What am I unconsciously teaching him? I know, kind of deep for a Monday.

1 comment:

Jill said...

No idea about why he's only sick on weekends. That's weird. They nap at different times because they are conspiring against you. I'm sure you're unconsciously teaching him lots of good stuff. You're doing a great job and don't you forget it!

:-) Jill