I'm copying Theresa and posting a yummy recipe. I got this out of the newspaper and was a little skeptic, but curious. It was submitted from Toni D's deli here in Wichita and now I want to eat there! It's very tasty and easy! My kind of food.
Chicken with rice and chickpeas
2 lbs. bone-in chicken breasts
water
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1/4 cup butter or olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cans (16 oz. each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cinnamon
Place chicken breasts in a Dutch oven or large sauce pot and add enough water to just cover. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Let chicken stand in cooking liquid until cool enough to handle, then remove chicken. Discard the skin and shred meat. Skim off any impurities from the broth and pour it in a bowl.
Place rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover rice with water and microwave for 7 minutes on high. Drain off excess water. In the sauce pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft. Add the chickpeas and seasonings. Layer the chicken on top of the chickpeas, and the rice on top of the chicken.
Pour about 4 cups of the reserved broth over the rice, or enough to come just below the top of the rice. Bring to a boil, then cover pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes, then turn off heat and let pot stand about 30 minutes. (I had to let it simmer about 40 minutes to get the rice tender.)
Serves 6-8
1 comment:
Thanks for your recipe! I was hoping that people would start sharing their favorites too.
Okay...I've never cooked with chick-peas. Are they like regular canned peas in the veggie isle?
Hope you have a great weekend!
T
Post a Comment