We went to the library on Wednesday. We go about every two weeks and check out a huge number of new books. I LOVE library day because Andrew always sits so quietly looking through all the new books and then asks me to read them all. We have to set limits on how many we read on the first day. Andrew's reading one of the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems, our new favorite author. He also writes the Pigeon books, which we also love. Andrew loves them so much that he memorizes them after we read them one time. It's a little freaky to hear him reading to himself, but I love that he loves books!
On another note, potty training is going very WELL! About a month ago, I told Andrew that we were almost out of Pull-Ups and that I wasn't going to buy anymore because we had already spent half his college fund on them. He didn't really understand the economics of it, but it made me feel better. I also told him that we were going to start wearing underwear, only. So, we went shopping for new underwear. He was totally uninterested as I tried to have him help me pick out new undies. So, I picked what I thought would be acceptable, and we started wearing underwear exclusively. Some have been rejected from the Disney pack, such as certain Cars undies and Wall.E for some unknown reasons. He likes what he likes, and I'm not going to force the rejected undies if it causes accidents!
We have a little egg-timer that I would set to go off hourly as a reminder to try and go pee-pee. It started to work and after a week or so, I quit setting the timer and he started telling me when he had to go. And now he doesn't even tell me. I just hear him running and slamming the bathroom door and then locking it for "privacy." Like Jonathan and I might bust in on him. Whatever.
Poop was a little more difficult. He was still wearing pull-ups at night and so he would usually choose bedtime or early morning to do poopies. When I asked him why he wouldn't go in the toilet, he would answer, "Cause that's what boys do." How do you argue with that logic?
About a week or two ago, we stopped wearing Pull-Ups to bed because of Andrew's sensitive skin. He was starting to break out around the waist, where the Pull-Ups rubbed, so it was an easy excuse to stop wearing them. Plus he was always dry in the morning and I figured the worst that would happen is that I would do more laundry. Ha! Well, so far, no accidents at night and he now does poopies in the toilet! And he insists on wiping himself. This control-freak mama, does not handle that well, but I'm working on it and teaching him how to wipe properly. (Sorry if this blog is a little to graphic! But it's my life.)
Today we were at Dillons, and we had just paid for the groceries and were heading out to the car. We walked by the Restroom sign, which I think he can read, and he screams that he has to go pee-pee. So, I reluctantly parked my groceries outside the bathroom door, and hauled Jonathan into the bathroom. Andrew went pee-pee and when I tried to help pull his pants up, he announces that he had to do poopies. I didn't believe him. I thought he just wanted to hang out in the dirty public bathroom and watch me freak as my groceries were pilfered. But no, he really did have to go and my groceries were just fine. Progress!
Now, we just have to work on the back talk...
3 comments:
Yay!!! I knew you could do it Andrew!!! That's awesome.
I need to take the girls to the library. It used to be a fiasco with them both going opposite directions, but I should probably try again.
I'm so there with ya, Tanya. Within a week Riley went from diapers 24 hours a day to completely potty trained. I'd like to take the credit, but in the end (no pun intended), I think I was just a spectator. Way to go, Andrew!
Andrew, maybe you can teach Luke to master this skill someday. Right now we're just working on keeping our poopies in our pants and not exploding all over our clothes/swing/mommy/everything/anything.
Post a Comment