Saturday, January 12, 2008

Naptime Woes

We've been having many napping issues at our house. Prior to the week before Christmas, Andrew was an excellent napper. Read a couple stories, put him in his bed and he'd typically sleep around two hours. Ahh, the good old days... Ever since Christmas and all the excitement that came with it, and we think the pending arrival of a baby brother, naptime bliss is gone. Don't get me wrong. He still goes to his room for two hours, he just doesn't sleep anymore. And therefore is a very tired trainwreck by the end of the day. And frankly, so am I!

On Thursday, when the two hours were up, I went to get him, only to find him naked except for one sock, carrying his clothes toward the door. I asked him why and he answered, as he does to all questions these days with an, "I dunno." Then added in a shocked voice, "Where my diaper?" So I dressed him and thought little more about the incident.

Fast forward to Friday's naptime. I decided to try something new, so I sat in the rocking chair in his room, in hopes that he would stay in his bed and listen to me sing. Well, it worked for a short time, then I fell asleep and he read books to himself and sang loudly, which I only vaguely remember. I was very tired! After an hour, I gave up and left his room. He didn't seem to mind and I foolishly thought maybe he had tired himself out in my semi-conscience presence.

After a little time had passed, I checked the video monitor and saw him sitting on his bed - naked, fighting sleep, and saying "Holy Smokes" over and over. Then he fell asleep. It was 5 pm and I was just ready to go get him, but then the thought of a 30-45 minute nap was too much to pass up. Keith came home from work and went to get him, only to find the room reeking of poop. We quickly discovered the source of the smell. Andrew had painted his window and part of one wall with poop. Yes, I said painted, but I think smeared is a more accurate description. Keith gave Andrew a quick bath and I had the fun job of cleaning the room. Ahh, parenthood. They don't give you literature on this fun stuff when they give you your positive pregnancy test results!

Today I'm happy to report that while I ran errands, Keith and Andrew ran their own errands, which resulted in Andrew falling asleep in the car. He then was transferred to his bed and slept 3 hours and would've probably slept longer, but I was hungry and we wanted him to sleep tonight. Hooray for us! No poopy paint today! I fear Monday and being here alone to clean up any new art project Andrew might create!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Tanya. That is GROSS!! Girl, duct tape is your answer! Duct tape all around the top of the diaper, so it is super snug. Laura Bair used to have to do that to Brookie cause she kept getting nakie and freezing her tookus off. It won't hurt him... But you might, if he does that paint thing again! Holy smokes is right! I'm soooooo sorry.

Theresa Walker said...

Soooo sorry that you had to clean that up...esp. being pregnant! I really don't look forward to the day when Gabi can take her diaper off, and I guess I really shouldn't complain anymore about her emptying out my cabinets and drawers! Good luck with the duct tape idea from Jill! :)

Anonymous said...

Tanya,
I love reading you and Jill's blogs and you know I only laugh because I have been there!! So the good news is, you can live through it. Trust me, you will wish for such simple problems as keeping a diaper on once they start driving. Let me know if I can be of any help! I am a duct tape expert!! Love, Laura Bair

KPrince said...

Wow....that is hilarious and gross all at the same time!!! Love it! It makes me feel lucky at the present, but scared at what I have to look forward too!!