Sunday, May 13, 2012

Patriot Guard








Jonathan has been attending Kid's Day Inn at a local church this school year and he loves it! He calls it school and brings home the cutest crafts. When I dropped him off this week, I was informed I needed to pick him up early due to a large military funeral being held at the church. They mentioned the Patriot Guard would be there, but I didn't fully understand what that meant until I went to pick him up. Tears immediately came to my eyes as I pulled in the parking lot and saw the many men and women holding the American Flag.

After I got Jonathan in his seat, we slowly left with me snapping a few pics on my phone and I couldn't stop the emotional response that the sight of those flags brought on. The boys starting freaking out a little that their mom was crying over flags, and I wasn't able to explain it to them.

They promised to be good if we ran home and grabbed the camera to take some real pictures. I didn't want to intrude on the family and funeral, so I parked across the street to take a couple these. These pictures aren't quite as dramatic or from as good an angle, but they still stir a strong response within me. I also realized as I stared at the Patriot Guard that I hope to never attend a funeral where they are. (The Patriot Guard currently only attend funerals of soldiers killed in action in the current wars on terrorism.) But I am thankful for men and women willing to serve our soldiers and their families in this way. Hopefully some day, when my children are older, I can help them understand why this was such a beautifully moving scene.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

i am with you-it is truly a moving scene. when my cousin's son Peter was killed in action, they had the patriot guard-totally makes one weep...i can't describe the feeling of driving under the "tunnel" of flags as they lined each side of the street as we left-hundreds of flags...sure reminds one of the sacrifices of our soldiers and their families.

Sally said...

They are an amazing group. They will also show up when those wackos from Topeka are planning on coming.