Friday, September 25, 2009

Ice Fish and Tomatoes

Chef Andrew

Andrew was making "fish," which is funny since he doesn't usually want to eat fish. He was "catching the ice fish" in my cold-water bath I had used to skin the tomatoes. This kept him busy for quite a while, until he decided he need to add salt and added the whole shaker. Then our cooking fun had to come to an end.

I was given a bounty of ripe tomatoes and having been trying to find new ways to preserve them this week. On Monday, I peeled and diced a bunch to freeze. I found the recipe online. Just boil the whole tomatoes for a minute and then drop them in a cold-water bath to peel them. (I was skeptical, but it really worked.) Chop and freeze. I'm hoping they stay fresh-tasting for some yummy soups this winter!

I also have a no-cook pasta sauce that is delish! And so I decided to make up a large batch of that to freeze. The sauce doesn't require peeling the tomatoes, but since I was freezing it, I decided to peel them to make sure the sauce froze well. I'll post the recipe below.

And I canned some tomato juice. Andrew is worried I'm going to make him drink the tomato juice and I assured him I wouldn't waste it on him! I'm hoping all my hard work pays off and all of this still has that fresh-from-the-vine taste in the dead of winter!


No-Cook Pasta Sauce
4 ripe raw tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
couple dashes of pepper
In a food processor or blender, puree all the ingredients. Add 1 hand-chopped tomato for texture, if desired. Pour the (room temperature) sauce over a pound of hot cooked pasta and enjoy!

No comments: