Today started like most other days - me scurrying around trying to get the boys dressed, fed and out the door, and the boys fighting the idea. Let me set the stage further: I'm in the kitchen getting breakfast for myself and Andrew. The boys are in the living room squabbling over a ride-on car. Suddenly the squabble ends with Jonathan crying very loudly. I come running, scoop up Jonathan and ask Andrew what happened. Before I get an answer, I see blood. I try to determine where the blood is coming from and see a little flap of loose skin on his upper lip. Now PANIC sets in!
This happened a little before 9 am and Jonathan had his 9-month well baby appointment at 9:30. So, I knew we were going to see the doctor no matter what and at this point I feared stitches were needed. I called my wonderful neighbor to see if she could watch Andrew in case I needed to go to the ER. She came running over, literally, and helped me calm down and determined that stitches were probably not necessary. She took Jonathan and got him a popsicle to help stop the bleeding. I changed my bloody shirt, Andrew's clothes and Jonathan's and we were off to the doctor.
By the time we got to the pediatrician's office, everything was calm, except my heart rate. The doctor wasn't at all worried about Jonathan's fat lip. In fact, it seemed to this frazzled mother that he really didn't study it and examine it as closely as was necessary. He assured me that mouth wounds heal quickly and that Jonathan would be fine and to avoid salty, crunchy foods. And that was it. No stitches, butterfly band aids, or sedatives (although I think I could've used one.)
I still don't know exactly what happened, but I'm pretty sure Jonathan hit his mouth on the fireplace hearth. And I know it could've been much worse, but that was way more than enough excitement for a Monday morning.
2 comments:
Holy cow. Was this right after I talked to you? I'm glad he's okay. His eyelashes are just to die for. Love ya!
This one scares me about having kids! I'm not great with blood, unlike our mother. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to handle these things to be a mom, so we'll see how that goes...I just know I am going to totally flip out the first time Baby bleeds for any reason and send him/her to Daddy. The other day, Chad cut himself and it was more painful for me than for him. I could barely put the stupid bandaid on him. I'm doomed.
Post a Comment