Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"New" Chest of Drawers

$10 chest of drawers + $12 paint = new dresser in boys' room!





Last weekend was Labor Day, and we labored away. Not in the Labor and Delivery kind of way that I'm ready for, but we did complete several projects on our pre-baby list. One project was to re-do this little chest of drawers. I failed to take a picture of the before, but trust me it was UGLY! For starters, the pull handle was shiny gold and running the length of the drawer under the handle was also a 1-inch strip of shiny gold. The wood was a shiny veneer, light oakish color. But it only cost $10. Quite the steal my parents found for us at a recent auction!

Keith started by removing the fancy gold trim with the help of Goof Off - magic stuff that removed all the adhesive left behind by the lovely gold trim. He was worried he was going to have to sand it off, but no. Although, he may have lost a few important brain cells thanks to the strong smells. Then he removed the pulls and spray painted them black. He had found this espresso-colored spray paint that adheres to all surfaces with no prep work required and decided to try it for the exterior. (Andrew wanted him to buy fire-engine red paint. Fortunately Keith was able to talk him out of that color choice!) I was skeptical that spray paint was what we needed. I was ready to sand and get out the brushes, but we tried his way first, and in mere minutes the drawers were transformed from ugly to pretty chocolate.

After letting it dry, he put the pulls back on, and we moved it into the boys' room. And now it holds some of Jonathan's clothes as we continue to work on the bedroom transition.

As a side note, the boys are getting better at going to sleep at night. But the past two mornings, they have woken each other up at 6:45 am. I don't function before 7:30. Actually I really don't function before 8:30, so you see how this is a problem for me...plus they are cranky most of the day and Andrew no long believes in naps...and I'm cranky because I lost at least 45 precious minutes of sleep. So our new policy is about once a week the boys sleep in separate rooms to assure that everyone in the house gets a good night sleep. We can only do this for a couple more months, but for now, it is what works for us.

No comments: